Friday, October 12, 2012

Going Home

The girls are now 5 weeks and 5 days old!  

Naomi weights 4 pounds 11 ounces and Colette weights 4 pounds 10 ounces!

THEY ARE COMING HOME TODAY!!!!!!!!

TOGETHER!!!!!!


I am writing this post from the hospital "hotel" room.  Korby and I spent the night in a private room just down the hall from the NICU with both girls.  They wanted to make sure that we were comfortable with the oxygen equipment that Colette will be coming home on with our nurse easily available in case we had any questions, problems or concerns.

Everything went well except for the fact that I didn't sleep more than 1 hour all night!!!
A glimpse of what the next year will be like~

Hard, but worth every second of it!!!!

I don't have a lot of new pictures of the girls.  It has been really busy the last couple of days when I have been at the hospital.  The girls care team (doctor, nurses, dietitian, social worker, etc) have all been spending a lot more time talking to me during rounds about what to expect each day and when the girls go home. There have also been a lot more people coming around to talk to me about different things.  I have had to learn the "recipe" to fortify the girls bottles.  I have had to learn about car beds (the girls are too small for their normal car seats). I have had to learn about Colette's oxygen she will be coming home on.  I have had pass off CPR for infants.  I have had to watch car seat and purple crying videos.  
It has been busy.

I did still manage to get some pictures of the girls~

I like this picture of Naomi because even though she is still so tiny and thin this makes it look like she kind of has a little chub to her cheeks

Colette is soooo.... much wigglier than Naomi.  It is a LOT harder to get a picture of Colette where it isn't blurry.  She is wiggling in this picture too, but I like her tongue sticking out and smiling!

Colette was off of oxygen for about a day before they decided to put her back on~ she just wasn't doing well enough.  
It was so fun to see them together without anything on their faces (except for the stickers on Colette's face).

In order to go home, the girls had to pass a car seat test.  They had to sit in the car seat they would be coming home in for 90 minutes and not have any problems with their oxygen or heart rates.  
They are both too small for "normal" car seats.
Instead they will be coming home in car beds that we have to rent from the hospital.

Here is Colette during her car seat test.  It will be a while before she is big enough to ride in it.

It's not a great picture, but I keep forgetting to get a picture of Naomi's hand.  She has a large red mark on her left hand.  It will fade after a year, but for now it is the only thing that we can use to tell the girls apart.

The girls will get discharged from the hospital later this morning.  I will hopefully post pictures from today soon.  If not, I am sure you will all understand that I will be busy trying to figure out how to be a mom to 6 kids all at once while getting next to no sleep at all!  

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO obsessed with these little girls!!! They are the cutest baby girls ever!!! I can not believe how tiny Colette is in the car seat! And how lucky that Naomi has a little birthmark to help tell them apart- when did that show up??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck good luck!! Wonderful and scary and exciting and amazing all at once! You are going to be so crazy busy, but what an amazing, welcome blessing these little girls are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how exciting to have your little ladies coming home today! I hope the kids can treat you to afternoon naps after school or that Korby can give you a head start on sleep after work. You'll be in my thoughts! Oh, your girls are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete